A number of Crossref members have told us that they are struggling with implementing a usable funding data collection user interface in their content management systems. To that end, we have worked with some user interface consultants to come up with a “funding data widget” that illustrates some of the considerations one has to take into account when collecting funding data data.
Specifically the funding data widget illustrates how to:
- Autocomplete on Funder Registry names
- Handle multiple funders
- Handle multiple award numbers
- Handle sub-organizations
- Handle funding agencies that have the same name, but are in different locations (e.g. “Academy of Sciences”)
- Handle sub-organizations that have the same name, but different parent organizations (e.g. “Division of Physics”)
- Query the funding data API to make sure your Funder Registry list is always current
- Allow users to manually enter a funding agency if it is not already included in the Funder Registry.
[The funding data widget source is posted on Github](https://github.com/Crossref/funding data-widget) and is released under an open source license (MIT). We encourage anybody implementing funding data to either use the Widget as-is or base their own UX on the widget.
As usual, we welcome feedback and snark at: